Today was supposed to be a day spent traveling by boat and bus to Uruguay, followed by beach and margaritas. The second half, not so much. After a pleasant 6 hour trip, we finally made it to the bus station in Punta del Este, Uruguay. Vanessa and I sat for about 10 minutes waiting for the bus to our hostel when we decided a taxi must be cheap in this country and embarked on our journey to find one. We walked for about 20 minutes to find a main street, only to see that no taxi´s passed. 30 minutes later, one finally drove by and stopped. I showed him the address I had written down. We started driving fast and far, dirt roads, bridges, you name it.
$470 Uruguayan pesos later, we made it. But no, we didn´t actually make it because the real reservation was at the other hostel, with the same name, but a different address. Half of the group made reservations at this hostel, but the other one was near the beaches and bars. So back on the road we went to find the bus that goes to the city and comes every half hour. We flagged a bus down and eventually got to the correct hostel--six blocks from the bus station we were originally at.
Tired and hungry we went to look for sushi...3 hours later we found it--closed.
Punta del Este is the quiet and peaceful break I´ve been wanting from the hecticness that is Buenos Aires. It is beautiful and lush here, trees everywhere (and mosquitos, can´t get away from those.) The people here are nice and calmer than in BA. Since it is down season, there are barely any people here and according to everyone, summer months are wild and the streets are packed with tourists. The beach is lined with hotel after gorgeous hotel. This does not really seem like a town for anyone but tourists.
There are some things I miss about the US: ketchup offered everywhere. Regular salads--not just tomatoes, Regular restaurant service instead of having to flag the waitress down to pay. People who understand what I am trying to say. Food that is healthy. Food that is not fried. FREE WATER...free refills.
I didn´t mention my apartment or my family last time...
I live in the center of everything in Recoleta, a neighborhood in Buenos Aires. It is near everything, and if it isn´t, then there is easy transportation to get everywhere. Taxis are relatively cheap so I don´t miss having a car really. The apartment is small but enough and I have everything I need. My family is super helpful and nice...haven´t figured out if they all want me there or not. I have definitely had some ditzy moves there...like hitting my head on the window panel when sitting beneath it. My ¨host sister¨had to clean up the blood and ice my head...yeah I am sure she thought that was a smart move.
I am already pretty annoyed of being hollared at and whistled at. But such is life.
Tomorrow--the beach. If all goes as planned...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment