Wasn't really sure I wanted to make one of these, but to hell with that.
I came here with the intent every person my age has at one point or another: "to find myself." I am not sure what I am going to find yet, but I have fully experienced the fact that I am not an independent traveler. I don't enjoy going places alone, looking at art alone, and not having someone to share thoughts with, so I guess I will share them here until I find a better outlet. This trip is about taking risks and being spontaneous, 2 things I never do. I began my trip with anticipation but not too much hope since I was flying standby. After five miserable days of going back and forth to the Atlanta airport, I finally made it to Buenos Aires.
This place is never quiet, never calm. This is one of my main issues with this city and adjusting to it. Dogs are always barking, construction is bustling, people are yelling, babies are crying, and cars are honking their annoying horns while slamming their brakes and the tires screech. It is a lot to take in and handle.
Coming here without a program has proved to be as scary and intense as I expected. Not having constant companions and support has shown me my lack of independence...which I am working on, mostly because I have no other choice. Making friends is not the easiest task, I've found.
I went to San Telmo on a Sunday a week ago. Sunday is tourist day in this beautiful little barrio of Buenos Aires. The streets were filled with people walking around the market, eating ice cream (which is absolute perfection here) and smiling. A group of about 8 people began to play bongos, drums and other instruments and the movement changed from walking to dancing. It was a beautiful sight. These musicians probably don't make that much money, most people barely give anything and what they do give they have to split between each person. Yet their smiles and laughter, I wont forget. That is the difference between this country and the U.S. People here stop and enjoy life. It isn't about work--it's about living, no matter the circumstances.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment