Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Simple Life

Coming back to Buenos Aires after a peaceful weekend in Punta del Este reinforced my feelings about this city and where I would like to live in the future...definitely not a big noisy city.

I haven't really talked about the family I am living with...
I live with Patricia who has 4 kids. Her son is 15 and lives in the apartment as well. She also has 3 daughters, ages 20, 22, and 24 who are either at the house or their fathers house. The place is great because its artsy and modern since she paints. It is really nice living with someone who is into culture and appreciates the type of stuff I want to do and see. The family is so helpful in everything I want to do and after talking to some kids who also have homestays, I know I am very lucky.

Punta del este was perfect. It is definitely somewhere I could see myself enjoying a large amount of time. It is peaceful, the people are calm and nice, and there is not too much going on. Clearly it is a different story during the summer months where the streets are full of people and the parties are crazy. But living the life of a beach bum for 3.5 days was awesome. Really I was inspired by the simple yet content life of the chef in our hostel. This man can cook, sing, play the guitar and he acts. He was born and raised in this tourist town and he loves it. He has such a lust for life, he just smiles and sings and its powerful, not to mention, he is an epic chef. He got me to thinking...he has so many talents and I have none. So I am on a talent hunt. I am going to try out some painting classes and maybe a guitar class...playing the guitar, at least one really good song, is high on my list. Plus that's sexy as hell, eh?

After more than 4 months off from school, and what seemed to be the best winter break ever, I started again at the University of Buenos Aires on Monday. It felt like one of the most intense and intimidating days of my life. I was in a small class of 35. My teacher mumbles in a hush tone and speaks quickly. I sat for 3 hours and 15 minutes not understanding a word. I was confused and upset at my inability to understand anything, but I know with time it will come. We had to introduce ourselves and say something about us. "Hi, I am Lera, I am from the United States..." All heads turn to look at the strange foreign kid. Great.

In my university, you can smoke wherever you want. Everytime I go to class, my death comes closer and closer. People smoke in the bathrooms, in the halls, in the classes. And there is nothing I can do about it, it's pretty disgusting.

The people here--they are definitely different from Coloradoans...and especially Boulderites. They are aggressive and loud and in your face. They are selfish. I don't think they think about my well-being when they smoke inside a building, they just do it because they want to. They do everything, when and how they want to. I like it a lot...minus the smoking. They are honest, they are impatient. They are rude, but only by American standards. They are noisy. Pushy. Beautiful. Egotistic. Proud. They are not afraid to speak their minds. And for now, these are my people.

The food here-is way too good. Joining a gym was definitely a necessity. Pastas, breads, empanadas, oh my! Plus drinking...not so great on the bod. Salads here really don't exist...and the ones that do aren't so great. I ordered a tomato salad. I got tomatoes. Literally a bowl full of tomatoes. That just doesn't cut it. I miss vegetables. I am really tired of paying twice the amount an empanada costs for a water. I feel constantly dehydrated.

Why does society here allow theft to become such a problem? People wear their backpacks in front, its almost a fashion trend. I wonder why it happens in some places more than others. I understand people live in poverty. But does that mean their morals or values are lower than other...or do others just not have the necessity? What about spoiled rich bitches who steal anyway, what is their necessity? I just wish I could walk around feeling safe and not constantly watching my back.

That is all for now...I have a ridiculous amount of social psychology reading to do. In Spanish. Great. Leave me comments/questions if you'd like.

Peace and Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment