Friday, May 7, 2010

20 Years Ago...

"20 years ago, it didn't look like this."

I am told Buenos Aires has changed. For the worse. Due to the economic crisis, this world is a a different place now. You can't walk more than half a block without seeing a man lying on the side of the street taking a nap, because this is his home--the streets. The most painful is worse yet, a mother sitting on the side of the dirty, polluted and noisy street, holding her infant. The child knows no better life, and most likely her future is not so bright. Because abortion is illegal here, children are born, no matter the circumstances. Some mother's choose not to stop drinking or smoking or doing drugs during their pregnancies, and many children are born with physical or mental disabilities. The families have nowhere to go, they beg for money. But just like everywhere else in the world--the money does not always go to a good place. Looking into the eyes of a 4 year old boy and refusing his request for a "moneda"is heart wrenching. To a grown man we say no because we figure the money is going to booze. But what is this 4 year old going to do? Will he buy some bread so that he does not go hungry today? Maybe, but I feel more likely he will give it to his parents, and then who knows where the money goes.

20 years ago Buenos Aires did not look like this.

I am told people had money, this city was one of the richest in the world, dominated by business and fashion. Now there is so much poverty that you cannot feel safe anywhere. Shouldn't something be done? Doesn't this seem like a problem that should be on the top of the governments to-do list?

When my father told my aunt, who Argentine, that I was coming here for my semester abroad, she simply replied with "No, that is not a very good idea." She told him it is dangerous for a girl to live here. She told him there are so many things to worry about. I, at first, questioned my reasoning for coming here, but now I am very happy.

Although this is a very European-Latin American city, maybe the most Euro of them all, but there is a signature spice to the city--which definitely isn't in the food. People are content. As I walked home today thinking about this blog, I walked by a women sitting cross-legged on the side of the street. Her baby girl was in her lap. She held her up and kissed her nose and looked into her eyes. There was a look of fortune-I cannot really explain it. This family probably does not have much to be thankful for, yet she smiled while looking at her pretty little girl dressed in pink. Once again, as I have said before, I am blessed with what I have. Yet, sometimes I am not happy. I feel like this is an American idea--wanting more. Because more=happy. And this is not the case. Sometimes its the little things in life that are the greatest and that we do not show enough gratitude for.

Family. A family that is there for you to talk, to help, to love.
A home. Not a house, not an apartment, but a place you feel love and comfort.
Happiness. Not because you just bought those adorable boots, which sometimes I confused with the feeling of happiness, but true contentment with lifestyle. I am still looking for my perfect pace, and being here is definitely steering me in the right direction.

20 years ago.
I was one year old. We were living in Kiev. We did not have that much, but we had each other. I am sure most people think this, but unfortunately some are not able to--I have one of the most amazing families there could be. Not only did I have a mother who would do anything for me, but I had a beautiful grandmother, that lived for the family. I have a father who worked (and still works) harder than any other man I know to get us to where we are today. If it weren't for him, I most likely wouldn't be here in Buenos writing this blog. I have two brothers that have both taught me more than I could ever teach myself. Sometimes, people just do not stop to take the time and realize how lucky they are.

I am very lucky.

I can only hope that one day, things will change within the world, within Buenos Aires, and poverty will magically reverse itself, and I will be able to walk the streets of this beautiful town without worrying if the man next to me is going to steal my things, or worse.

I hope today you can take a minute to realize how lucky you are and how wonderful the people are that you are surrounded by. I hope you realize, not everyone in the world can be as grateful as you.
Peace and love to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment